Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My First G-Cash Experience

For my first experiment on mobile applications, I decided to try Globe's G-Cash service. I've never used G-Cash ever, and after learning that Philippines was the first (or one of the first?) in integrating an electronic wallet system into mobile phones, I decided it's worth to try G-Cash.

My first attempt at G-Cash
I went to the Globe Hub in Podium last August 6, Sunday. I wanted to cash-in P100 to my G-Cash account. So I filled up this form and waited for 5 minutes only to tell me that their system was down at the moment, meaning they can't cash-in my P100. Argh! I was kinda disappointed at this. If the G-Cash system is occasionally down, I don't think I would want to do large transactions, like paying for bills. Meralco bill at home ranges from P9,000 - P11,000 a month, why would I want to bring cash of that amount in the mall to cash-in G-Cash? I might get robbed in the process. Or the G-Cash system might be down...

My first G-Cash Cash-In
Then yesterday, August 21, I finally got to cash-in G-Cash at the Globe Business Center in Robinson's Galleria. I successfully cashed-in P200.
These are the steps involved for cashing-in G-Cash at a Globe Business Center:

1. Get an application form from the guard at the entrance. He'll give you a number on a stub as well.
2. Fill up form
3. Wait for your number to come out
4. Go to the counter assigned to you
5. Submit form
6. Receive text from G-Cash, informing of the transaction

So much involved when cashing-in G-Cash! I find it inconvenient to go through this every time. It's no fun filling up forms and waiting. I didn't have to wait for long though, (maybe because it was a holiday and time was already 7.30pm). I wish they find a way to eliminate the process of filling up forms.

While I was at the counter submitting my form, I asked the lady (customer care) if I can buy cell phone load using G-Cash. She said that G-Cash doesn't do that kind of service yet, that Globe is still working on it. Huh? Wasn't this service offered last year pa? I asked this question to test how well they know G-Cash. I didn't argue with her further because I was thinking maybe the mobile reloading service via G-Cash was currently down or something. Instead, I just asked for a brochure or leaflet on G-Cash. She told me I had to get it from the guard at the entrance. Why don't they place brochures at the counter?

Buying cell phone load via G-Cash
Contrary to the lady at customer care, the G-Cash brochure says I can buy mobile load using G-Cash by simply texting. I tried it this morning and it works! I bought P25 load from G-Cash, and what's more is that I get 5% of G-Cash load from my purchase, so I got back P1.25! Yay! The downside to this service is that when load balance is zero, you can't buy via G-Cash. There must be enough load to text to 2882. So I suggest that sending text to 2882 should be free when buying mobile load. Otherwise, I would still have to go to the nearest sari-sari or convenience store to buy load so I can use G-Cash to buy load. Whopeee. G-Cash defeats the purpose of conveniently buying load anywhere when they impose this restriction.

Attempting to Load G-Pass via G-Cash
For my next purchase via G-Cash, I decided to try loading my G-Pass via G-Cash. G-Pass, recently launched by Globe, is a reloadable stored value chip used as an alternative to pay for MRT trips. It's convenient to use when riding the MRT because all you have to do is tap the chip into a reader at the turnstile and pass through. No more falling in line to buy MRT tickets/ cards.

They say I can load G-Pass via my G-Cash, but it just didn't work. I've registered my G-Pass and was able to check my G-Pass balance, but I wasn't able to reload it. This was the text message I received:

"Sorry, you entered the wrong Card Name or G-Pass Serial No. Please try the transaction again with the correct Card Name or G-Pass Serial No."

I tried reloading G-Pass again twice, using my card name and serial number, but received the same text message.

So reloading the G-Pass via G-Cash doesn't work for now.

I'll try to use G-Cash for its other services too, like buying in Mercury Drug and National Bookstore. Or paying for Shakey's deliveries. So until my next entry :) Still trying to get a feel of G-Cash :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope the E-wallet becomes a trend.
The technology is so ripe.
The key to hitting this off is consistency of service delivered.
Consumers will wake up one day and realize what a great idea the e-wallet is and start using it.
Imagine a time when we go to the "Mamang Sorbetero" and pay using G-Cash because he can use it to buy basic commodities.

camille said...

Congratulations on your first G-Cash experience! I've never tried using G-Cash because I don't know how it works. I think there's a lack in user education. People just generally know what it is, but have never tried it because they don't know where to start. So, this is a really good way to educate the market.

Happy Ducky said...

To Paul - The E-wallet can become a trend if G-Cash expands its network to make it more accessible to people.

To Camille - Yes, I agree with you that there is a lack in user education. The concept of electronic cash is still new and takes a while to understand how it works. G-Cash has limited functions that doesn't make it so relevant to many, probably another reason why people don't want to bother to understand how G-Cash works

Thank you friends for your comments! :)