Monday, August 28, 2006

Online Payment Systems

I've been researching on online payment systems (it's my job to learn about these). So far, I've read up on PayPal, Moneybookers and PayEasy. I can't try PayPal and Moneybookers because they don't serve the Philippines, but I can try PayEasy.

PayPal allows individuals and businesses to send and receive money online. PayPal users can shop online without revealing their credit card number or other financial information, which makes it secure. PayPal also caters to merchants who need a payment system to receive money. Recently, PayPal has extended its services to the mobile phone. Mobile subscribers in the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom can buy items through their mobile phone by texting. The PayPal Plus Credit Card, which is MasterCard designed, offers exclusive benefits to PayPal members.

Moneybookers works similar to PayPal and offers the same basic services to shoppers and merchants. The difference between the two payment systems is its market. PayPal is widely used in the United States, while Moneybookers is more popular in Europe. Maybe because Moneybookers accepts more European currencies than PayPal? I wonder...

Moneybookers does not offer mobile services like PayPal's, and does not have its own credit card. I wonder if there are a lot of users to PayPal's mobile service because I have this notion that most Americans don't know how to compose a text message. I guess texting has become more popular in the United States than I thought.

PayEasy, developed by MozCom, is an online payment gateway for Internet users and Internet store owners. The PayEasy system revolves around the concept of a Wallet. One must fund his/her PayEasy account to make purchases from online merchants who accept PayEasy. There are several payment systems to fund your PayEasy account: Globe G-Cash, international credit cards, PayPal, debit cards (Bancnet and MegaLink), UCPB my1time, and many more (offline funding can be done).

This afternoon, I went to the Payeasy site and tried funding P50 to my PayEasy account through my G-Cash. I received a text message requesting to reply with my MPIN to confirm my transaction. I did this, but nothing happened next. I was expecting another text message, one from Mozcom and/or G-Cash, but received none. I tried funding again, this time, I tried funding P40 to my account. It didn't work again.

I emailed Mozcom's support/ help desk regarding this problem, and they responded to me quite fast. My message was forwarded to another guy from Mozcom asking if Mozcom has received a notification from Globe. After around an hour, I got a reply. Here it is:

Hi,

There was a problem with our G-Cash application. The transaction was not committed. Please try again. Thanks.

So the G-Cash system of PayEasy doesn't work or didn't work at that particular time only? I'll try again tom. I was hoping to purchase songs from fliptunes.

What I don't like about PayEasy is that non-PayEasy members cannot pay to a PayEasy user, unless the merchant avails of the PayEasy Direct (which is not available for all merchants).

I'll look into more payment systems tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... e commerce would take off in the Philippines if the consumers find it profitable.

Let me explain.
E-commerce in the US is prevalent because stores are usually a drive away but it would be more convienient to just click and buy. Here in the PH sari-sari stores are found every hundred meters.

A really cool way to get buy-in from consumers is making the transactions cheaper, more secure and available in trickles "tingi-tingi"

What do you think?

Happy Ducky said...

Yes, I agree that e-commerce would take off in the Philippines if consumers find it profitable. Another factor is that not many people in the Philippines own a credit card or bank account to pay for items online. Some sites offer G-Cash to pay for items, but its presence is still limited online.

Yes, I agree with you that more people would buy online if transactions are cheaper and goods sold at small amounts =)

Thanks for you comments paul!